Requisition ID: 7356
Home-based Position: Regular
Job Type: Permanent
EnerSys is a leading power and energy solutions provider for the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) industry. Our products help power the necessities of modern wired and wireless communication infrastructure, including wireless cell sites, 5G small cells, Internet of Things (IoT), and switching centers. Our portfolio includes renewable energy products, DC and AC power systems, power distribution systems, and energy storage in the form of industrial batteries, employing advanced lithium electrochemistry technologies.
As power conversion and power management experts, we provide solutions to our customers' challenges and problems. From individual modules to full turn-key system solutions, we provide our customers with the advice and support needed at all level of the organization. We cherish the integral relationship critical to success of our clients who range from Mobile Network Operators to major telecom and cable providers to data center operators.
Our Burnaby, British Columbia, facility is the Center of Excellence for our power system design and ICT application development. Regional headquarters are in Canada, USA, Europe and Asia, with worldwide headquarters located in Reading, PA, USA.
EnerSys is truly a Global Company, with over thirty manufacturing and assembly plants worldwide servicing over 10,000 customers in more than 100 countries. EnerSys is the power/full solution with sales and service locations throughout the world.
Learn More About Our Company
Alpha Technologies Ltd., an EnerSys company, is looking for a PRINCIPAL SYSTEMS ENGINEER, INTELLIGENT DISTRIBUTION to lead the projects of the Intelligent Distribution Business Line in our Burnaby facility.
In a key leadership role reporting to the Engineer Manager, Power Systems Engineering, the Principal Systems Engineer, Intelligent Distribution leads, manages, and contributes as an active member of the Intelligent Distribution Engineering team capable of carrying out needed engineering initiatives, with emphasis on product conceptualization, design and commercialization, engineering processes, and sustaining engineering. The Principal Systems Engineer will be the reference person for the systems engineering aspects of the Intelligent Distribution Business Line, coordinating project resources and operating in a cross functional environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize and design the systems of the Intelligent Distribution Business Line based on the Customer Product Requirements and in collaboration with Product Management.
- Execute sustaining engineering activities to support the Intelligent Distribution Business Line product portfolio.
- Actively contribute to innovate and the transform the Intelligent Distribution Business Line to reach aggressive growth targets.
- Conduct and take accountability on technical reviews on electrical HW, embedded FW, high level Software, Connectivity solutions and mechanical designs to ensure development efforts are meeting customer requirements and timeline targets.
- Actively engage in the documentation and testing of products as needed.
- Review and approve components, fabrication drawings, bills of material, and work instructions.
- Provide mentoring and leadership to ensure the Intelligent Distribution project team competently provides appropriate design solutions, complete/correct documentation, and manufacturing/testing support to enable the shipment of products against customer orders.
- Resolve technical and procedural issues; take ownership of problems and responsibility for solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Cont.
- Build and maintain rapport with company-wide stakeholders involved with selling, specifying, designing, building, testing, inspecting, shipping, and supporting Intelligent Distribution products to encourage and support a "same-team" mentality.
- Work with Product Management to understand industry trends, customer needs, and write product design specifications based on customer and business requirements.
- Develop and maintain Standard Operating Practices, including flow charts, templates, reports, record keeping, and work instructions for all Intelligent Distribution engineering processes.
- Analyze statistics or other data and recommend immediate action to maintain the level of operational excellence and financial performance according to departmental KPI measurements.
- Support and execute sustaining engineering activities to resolve manufacturing issues related to component availability, design errors, vendor errors, etc. in a timely manner.
- Critical to all duties and responsibilities is the ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, inclusive attitude, and leadership thinking by acquiring a thorough knowledge of the Power Systems products that Energy Systems Global (ESG) offers; demonstrate analytical thinking skills, sound judgment, and bring your own ideas to the table along with a "hands-on," can-do attitude.
- Active participation and leadership in appropriate Continuous Improvement activities.
- Minimum 5 years of product designs experience from concept to commercialization
- Minimum 7 years related experience; demonstrated experience in coaching, mentoring, and/or teaching
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and hands-on work experience as an electronics or electromechanical product designer or similar role
- Detailed knowledge of AC and DC Power Systems design and applicable codes and standards - telecom product experience is a plus
- Intermediate capabilities in SAP (or another ERP), PLM, SolidWorks, AutoCAD or Altium, and Office applications
- Detailed understanding of engineering documentation including schematics, wiring diagrams, mechanical drawings, assembly drawings and bills of material
- Excellent organizational skills with good attention to detail
- Exceptional English communication skills, both verbal and written
- Creative problem solving/troubleshooting skills
- Experience in telecommunications and/or electronic/electromechanical product design and manufacturing industries.
- Experience in AC and DC Power Systems for telecommunications or wireless applications, and in UL/CSA and Bellcore Standards (CSA, NEMA, NEBS, GR-487).
- Experience with overcurrent protection schemes, breaker/fuse coordination, ground fault analysis
- Experience with software/firmware development in C with Eclipse or similar IDE, scripting with Python, generic build/make workflows
- Understanding of electromechanical assemblies, printed circuit board assembly processes, electronics and electrical enclosures and packaging, sheet-metal processes, machining, plastic molding
- Experience with both software and hardware QA, test plans
- Electronics troubleshooting and the use of multimeters, oscilloscopes, and similar test equipment
- Knowledge of electrical safety practices: arc flash, PPE
- Experience in product development stage-gate processes
General Job Requirements
Equal Employment Opportunity
Individuals are hired, trained, assigned, promoted, transferred, downgraded, laid-off, terminated and recalled based upon their own abilities, achievements and experience without regard to gender, marital status, race, colour, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.