Ballard has an immediate opening for a Software (SW) Requirement and Safety Developer to join the Systems Engineering team. Successful candidates will have the capability and proven experience in retrieving and understanding product/system level requirements and decompose/derive software requirements for embedded control applications. The candidates should also possess knowledge of regulations/standards and best practice for functional safety and cybersecurity to generate technical safety and security requirements at the ECU and software level.
A successful candidate will work well independently and with the existing engineering team members and always have the desire to learn and continuously develop.
- Work closely with the owners of product and system requirements to collect and understand the complete high-level functional, regulatory, environmental and any non-functional features and constraints.
- Get heavily involved in DFMEA, HARA and TARA activities by contributing as controls/SW subject matter expert with the full scope of knowledge on Ballard major systems.
- Derive software requirements for fuel cell controls system by decomposing the high-level functional requirements with advanced methods like MBSE, and additionally include requirements for fault and threat detection and management with the inputs from all the mentioned design and analysis activities.
- Create and maintain all ECU and software-specific requirements, such I/O utilization and memory management, computing resource optimization, multithread scheduling and more.
- Participate within the software development life cycle to ensure all software requirements are cascaded down to design, implementation, and testing phases with end-to-end traceability.
- Get involved to establish and continuously improve embedded software development process by following standardized methods, such as SPICE, CMMI
- Prepare requirement and technical specification documents within MS office, or requirement management/ALM platform, such as JAMA, and engage in the formal change management process.
- Under the direction of the Controls Engineering Manager, work within cross functional teams with the implementation of systems engineering processes, which may include cross-functional reviews of requirements and documenting specifications.
- Other duties as occasionally required by management.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechatronics, EE, Mechanical engineering, or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in industrial-level software development and documentation.
- Good understanding of pneumatic and hydraulic systems, components and how they interact with ECU controllers.
- Working knowledge of functional safety standards and cybersecurity standards (ISO 26262, ISO/SAE 21434).
- Working experience with FMEA and any type of hazard analysis, and familiarity with their work process and best practices.
- Hands-on experience with embedded ECU and associated software development.
- Proficient with MS office tools, such as Word, Excel, Visio and Powerpoint.
- Team player, self-motivated, has the habit of documenting and communicate promptly on what is done. Have a passion for engineering and doing things in a systematic way.
- Work experience with the Application Lifecycle Management platform (JAMA, Polarion, etc) is a strong asset.
- Experience with full software lifecycle and safety-critical software development, including requirements, design, integration, validation, and verification, is a strong asset.
- Work experience with Agile development process.
- Work experience or knowledge of ASPICE or equivalent standards and framework.
- Work experience or knowledge of fuel cell systems and technology.
- Experience with CAN and communication protocols, such as J1939, is a strong asset.
Perks You Will Receive
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Ballard Bonus Plan
- Benefits plan: extended health (medical & dental), short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and employee family counselling and wellness programs.
- Company matching Retirement Saving program
- Impact Awards
- Inventor Incentive Program
- Paid Sick Days
- Employee Referral Program
Listen & Deliver | Quality. Always. | Inspire Excellence | Row Together | Own It
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.