For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we'll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We're fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We are on the hunt for a Staff Systems Engineer - Signal Processing, at our Richmond, BC, Canada office, to be a part of the next generation of Earth Observations space missions.
From detecting changes in fragile ecosystems to monitoring northern ice floes and shipping routes, our near-real time data of Earth observation and the environment makes our Geointelligence team a leader in geospatial imagery, ground stations, enterprise geospatial systems and defence programs. You will join our remote sensing team that has 30+ years of experience delivering commercial and government projects such as RADARSAT-2, RapidEye, Sapphire, CASSIOPE, RADARSAT Constellation Mission and now the CHORUS Constellation of SAR satellites.
This is a role suited for an ambitious professional wanting to solve complex problems to generate data on a global scale that contributes to the betterment of our world. You will participate with our large cross functional, multi-disciplined teams and lead a highly specialized team in developing cutting-edge, high-throughput signal processing systems deployed on earth and potentially on-board spacecraft.
As a Staff Systems Engineer - Signal Processing, you may have a wide range of responsibilities that include:
- Leading the definition, specification, technical risk management, integration, verification and validation of a Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Processors for new developments or enhancements of existing processors;
- Supervise the development of interface control documents (ICDs);
- Ensuring successful integration of HW and SW components of the SAR processor and seamless integration in larger ground segment or space segment;
- Coordinate trade-offs between theoretical algorithms and implementation on actual processor;
- Generating clear and thorough written reports documenting system technical performance;
- Investigate, troubleshoot and determine root causes of signal processing errors or induced artefacts in final image products;
- Find innovative solutions to mitigate induced artefacts in SAR image products and to optimize processing time to enable near real time processing;
- Participation in the mission design trade-off studies to design and develop the overall mission subsystems;
- Developing team members through mentoring and coaching ; and
- Provide sound technical guidance to upper management and lead technical solutioning for new business pursuits.
- Undergraduate degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Math, Physics, or a combination of related education and experience;
- 12 or more years of overall experience working in an engineering or technical environment;
- 5 or more years working on complex signal processing systems (e.g. Radar, Medical Imaging, Computer Vision, etc);
- 10 or more years working in a large product development or systems engineering environment ;
- Experience in different types of engineering life cycles as applicable from large complex programs to software development;
- Solid understanding of the principles and practices concerning the design of high speed and high throughput data analysis and transmission;
- Ability and knowledge to work with MATLAB, Python or C++;
- Self-starter with the ability to perform in a dynamic working environment;
- Possess excellent problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to explain concepts to wide-ranging audiences (e.g. technical team, sales team, executives, customers, etc); and
- The ability to work within a large organization and understand dependencies and stakeholder needs.
- Appreciation of SAR remote sensing, including system design, operation, applications/exploitation and calibration;
- Appreciation for satellite based SAR Payload design and operations;
- Appreciation for system design including FPGA or ASIC components;
- Ability to learn new technologies and space borne remote sensing domain knowledge quickly; and
- A strong understanding of geospatial data.
We're a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you're excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we'll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA's and Canada's leadership in this next golden age.
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the RELIABILITY status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP).
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.