For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we'll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We're fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We're on the hunt for a Senior Embedded Engineer in our Geointelligence Engineering Team at our Richmond office.
Our mission is to turn data into insight. From detecting changes in fragile ecosystems to monitoring northern ice floes and shipping routes, our near-real time data of Earth observation and the environment makes our Geointelligence team a leader in geospatial imagery, ground stations, enterprise geospatial systems and defense programs.
As a member of the Engineering team you will work on our programs such as Chorus Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Satellite, Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC), Square Kilometer Array (SKA) radio telescope, Aeronautical Navigation products, and Marine Insights products. You will work as part of a technical team to develop new capabilities, enhance existing capabilities and deliver solutions to our customers.
As part of your growth and development we will work with you to establish your development actions alongside regular progress reviews. You are likely to move through various projects to gain the experience and knowledge to progress your career with us.
We are looking for an intermediate/senior, experienced, energetic engineer who would initially participate within the MDA team as a hands-on development team member working and learning the software, firmware/FPGA, custom HW integration, with the intent of growing into an FPGA design leader.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to establish ownership and demonstrate your abilities, including:
- Work with radio astronomy scientists and system engineers to develop an understanding and ownership of the signal processing algorithms we wish to implement
- Design and implement FPGA firmware for the subsystem
- Design and implement software to run on ARM processors embedded in Intel SoC FPGAs.
- Participate with the test data generation team to create test datasets and firmware to verify the signal processing chain
- Participate with the integration team to integrate and test the subsystems into each release
- Evaluate the implemented design in terms of timing closure and resource utilization, and scale up the design into full implementation
- Create, review and maintain technical documentation, such as design specifications, user manuals and test reports.
- A university degree in engineering, computer science or other relevant discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience with complex, computer-based embedded FPGA development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and motivation to learn new things.
- Excellent team player.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working on FPGA firmware development
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a combination of one or more of the following areas in the last 5 years:
- Experience with writing VHDL for a high clock frequency system
- Experience with firmware for System on Chip (SoC) FPGA devices
- Software/firmware intensive complex systems
- System engineering of complex computer-based systems
- Working with digital signal processing systems
- Experience with the full engineering lifecycle for complex systems
- The following is desirable (some combination of):
- Experience with C/C++ and Python
- Experience with MATLAB.
- Experience with software development for embedded processors.
- Experience with Intel FPGA development tools.
- Experience with signal processing instrumentation for radio astronomy.
- Experience with Agile/SAFe development methodology.
- Experience with software development on custom or specialized hardware.
- Experience with software development for signal processing.
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP).
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.