For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we'll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and Geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We're fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
Reporting to the Manager, Regulatory Compliance, the Export Controls Specialist is responsible for monitoring, maintaining and communicating policies and procedures, which ensure compliance with all applicable trade controls to assure MDA is in compliance with all regulations set forth by the Canadian and/or United States Governments.
Responsible for continuous improvement; anticipates changing customer needs and changes in the regulations; demonstrates vision in advancing tools, technology, processes; well integrated in the community to stay abreast of best practices.
Demonstrate a capability to balance the legal implications of current export legislation with the requirements to ensure that business continues at all times in conformance with law. Requires an ability to find creative solutions to problems.
- Complete and review End-User statements, permits and licenses, both Canadian and foreign;
- Apply for re-exports retransfer authorisations for US-origin products with the US Department of State or Commerce;
- Close contact with all MDA programs to ensure all required permits and licenses are in place at all stages of the contracts including those needed for early release of data to final delivery of products;
- Responsible for the management of the Export Controls Online (EXCOL) platform and processes related to it including but not limited to export permit applications, reporting conditions, advisory opinions assuring complete accuracy of applications.
- Key player for general Canadian and US trade controls to ensure compliance with US ITAR/EAR regulations, Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and Canadian Exports and Imports Permit Act (EIPA).
- Liaise with different local and foreign government agencies/officials for trade controls related matters maintaining a high level of tact and diplomacy
- Liaise with and support other MDA Locations on all tasks in this job description;
- Review & keep track of Technical Assistance Agreements, DSP-5s and other different export approvals and liaise with PMO to ensure compliance and suitability;
- Review and assist in developing processes associated with export controls and security;
- Acts as Alternate Security Officer, (ACSO) and Designated Official (DO) to support certain functions under the Controlled Goods and Industrial Security programs.
- Ensure there is no unauthorized access to CGP or US controlled materials which includes managing access to segregated computer directories;
- Provde training on and CA/US Export Controls for MDA employees.
- Reporting risks to management on a periodic basis highlighting any issues along with strategies for risk mitigation.
- Devise creative ways to solve export issues as they arise keeping in mind the business reality of continuing work.
- Support with daily activities as necessary, including jurisdiction and classification reviews and other export or security related tasks as assigned by the Manager
- Support with compliance investigations
- In coordination with the Manager and/or MDA`s legal department, carries out tasks related to anti corruption due diligence policies to assure different external parties are properly screened and reliable and update related company policies accordingly.
- Understanding of Canadian and US export laws, including but not limited to ITAR, EAR the Canadian Controlled Goods Program and Canadian exports and imports permits act.
- University or College degree in International Trade, Commerce or Law from a recognized institution or 3+ years of relevant experience
- A minimum of 2 Years of Experience in export controls
- Good understanding of anticorruption and due diligence practices policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment and with minimum supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to deal with all levels of the organization and with external customers.
- Possess good judgement and the ability to resolve complex export related issues.
- Must be dead-line oriented and flexible and be able to work under pressure.
- Good understanding of space technology would be a definite asset.
- Bilingual French / English (Required)
- Ability to hold and maintain - NATO Secret Clearance and Successful Controlled Goods Assessment
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
We're a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you're excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we'll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA's and Canada's leadership in this next golden age.
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.