The Cryogenic Electro-Optic Test Engineer designs, builds, and operates test beds to characterize cryogenic photonic integrated circuits (PICs). You will be part of a team to realize first-of-their-kind photonic integrated circuits for implementing truly scalable quantum technologies. The Cryogenic Electro-Optic Test Engineer is a specialist in building complex systems in a minimal amount of time. You will design and realize automated characterization setups that function reliably soon after the first commission. You will be comfortable working in a diverse, fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
Please include a cover letter with your resume (in one file) describing how you would be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Design and build test setups to characterize cryogenic active and passive large-scale silicon photonic integrated circuits (PICs)
- Design and build test setups to operate and characterize high-speed superconducting detectors fabricated on PICs
- Realize precise, high-speed, and automated measurement of cryogenic PICs
- Generate new software and scripts as required to meet test and analysis goals
- Operate setups to characterize PICs and communicate the results
- Collaborate with a team of photonic designers, nanofabrication engineers, test engineers, and physicists.
- Develop and document test and measurement processes and procedures
- Train team members on all practices that are implemented
- Present verbal and written findings to cross-functional teams
- Work on issues of test integration with other systems
- Contribute to our IP portfolio
WHAT YOU BRING TO OUR TEAM
- Master's or PhD degree in electrical engineering, applied physics or other relevant discipline
- 3+ years of experience on building test setups for integrated photonics
- Hands-on-experience with high-frequency cryogenic electro-optic devices
- Experience with superconducting opto-electronic devices
- Hands-on-experience with fibre and free-space optics
- Hands-on-experience on active and passive PIC characterization on chip, and module levels
- Hands-on-experience on calibration and alignment of optical setups at single photon level
- Working experience on developing automated data acquisition, test and analysis scripts
- Experience in programming languages like Python, MATLAB, and LabVIEW
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Strong understanding of photonics, electronics, and electromagnetic compatibility
- Ability to work independently while also being a great team member
- Hand-on-experience with prototyping is a plus
- Knowledge of quantum optics is a plus
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US
- Get involved with a quantum startup company set to redefine computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can try new things while solving innovative challenges every day
- Inclusive company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits (including life insurance, extended health, dental, long term disability, and a flexible spending account), and potential upside
The description above is what we think an ideal candidate would look like for this role. At Photonic, we understand that everyone has a different work and life journey. If you feel your experience is close to what we've described, but you might not meet all the requirements, please still apply! We are also committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees' differences, knowing that these very differences inspire innovation and build better teams. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process, please let us know.
Based in beautiful British Columbia, Canada, Photonic is at the forefront of designing next-generation quantum technologies in silicon. Photonic's breakthrough results with silicon have upended many conventional assumptions in quantum computing. With record-setting qubit performance, telecom networking, and silicon's manufacturing scale, Photonic's silicon spin qubits materialize solutions for previously intractable problems -and unlock solutions for tomorrow's problem sets.