Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) is an IoT pioneer, empowering businesses and industries to transform and thrive in the connected economy. We are a growing organization with a clear vision for being the IoT partner of choice for wireless device-to-cloud solutions. Our values of Innovation, Execution and Trust are the guiding principles in everything we do. Sierra Wireless has over 1,000 employees globally and operates in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.sierrawireless.com .
Our Commitment to Inclusion, Equity and Diversity
At Sierra Wireless diversity is valued and celebrated. We strive to foster an inclusive organization. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we welcome people of every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status to grow their careers here.
We are looking for a highly motivated and results-oriented individual to join our Data Management team as a Senior Database Administrator. This position can be located in our Richmond, BC headquarters or remote in Canada. In this role, you will be responsible for providing operational database services to the organization. This role requires a service-oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned and a focus on managing and resolving issues within a team-based environment.
- Responsible for day-to-day activities regarding the upkeep and availability of all database servers in the environment including lower environments
- Serve as SME (subject matter expert) for Microsoft SQL Server
- Responsible for database backup and restore functions including scheduled tests of DR availability, including knowledge of MS SQL restoration and availability technologies such as Clustering, Replication, Always-On, etc.
- Manages the installation of patches on production SQL servers
- Participates in SQL code-reviews for the application teams to enforce SQL coding standards
- Builds and reports on SQL environment performance and availability metrics and takes appropriate actions to implement best practices and optimize performance
- Assist in the technical analysis and design for current and future projects
- Track and resolve database-related incidents and requests within SLAs and proactively escalate any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
- Review service-related reports (i.e. database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure that service-related issues are identified.
- Respond to database-related alerts and escalations and work with support teams to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems.
- Initiate and perform changes on production systems in accordance with the RFC process.
- Creation and maintenance of documentation and procedures related to assigned tasks or projects.
- Perform on-call duties on a rotational basis with other team members.
- Plan and carry out after-hours changes to meet business and operational needs.
- Analyze performance issues, identify tuning opportunities, implement improvements, and advise developers on SQL Server
Required Education, Experience & Skills
- Vast experience with Microsoft SQL Server database technologies is required
- Experience with Azure SQL
- Experience building and supporting SQL HA clusters and DR replication
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database problems
- Experience in performance tuning and optimization, using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with database backup and restore operations
- Knowledge of indexes, index management and statistics
- Experience managing users, groups, roles, authentication, and authorization for databases
- Experience working with SQL Server 2016-2019 and general understanding of Active Directory
- Experience in writing automation scripts, building application dashboards for proactive monitoring using Ruby, PowerShell, Python scripting or similar technologies, ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks
- Knowledge of disk subsystem technologies and configurations (SAN, iSCSI, LUN, etc.)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Familiar with change management and ITIL processes
What We Offer
Our people are friendly, collaborative, and like to share their ideas and knowledge with one another. This creates an amazing environment where we learn from each other and innovate together.
Our Canadian benefits include paid vacation and sick days, extended health and dental insurance, vision care, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, matching retirement savings program, and employee and family assistance programs.
Our Richmond headquarters offers a subsidized cafeteria, free parking, free shuttle service from Skytrain, a Wellness Program that includes activities and challenges to keep our minds and bodies active. We also host various social events throughout the year where we have fun and celebrate. Within our Global Inclusion and Diversity Program, our Employee Resource Groups provide opportunities for our people to support and champion Women in Tech, Emerging Professionals, Pride@Sierra, and Mental Health Awareness.
If you like working with a successful team, are looking for competitive salary and benefits, and the opportunity to represent a recognized and innovative brand, we'd love to have you join our team!
How to Apply
Please submit your resume online through our careers website using the "Apply" button below. If you are a job seeker with a disability and you need individualized support during the application or interview process, please leave us a note on your application form.
We thank you for your application and appreciate your interest in Sierra Wireless, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.