Are you passionate about research and leading a team? Do you want to be instrumental in developing and delivering a new vision for research at WorkSafeBC? We are looking for a Manager, Research & Business Initiatives to provide strategic and operational leadership of a diverse portfolio which includes the WorkSafeBC research grants program, corporate grants program, environmental scanning, partnerships and other departmental initiatives.
In this role, you'll work collaboratively with operational divisions and corporate partners in other organizations to ensure we have access to best practices, research and other business intelligence to underpin evidence-based strategies, initiatives and programs. You will also be responsible for communications with senior leaders including the division heads, the Board of Directors, key external worker and employer stakeholders and the research community.
This is a temporary role for 18 months.
How you'll make a difference: You'll help secure and share the best evidence and resources to prevent workplace injuries and help injured workers.
Where you'll work
At WorkSafeBC, we offer a hybrid work model that combines the convenience of working remotely with the dynamism of working in one of our offices, based on the operational needs of the position.
In this role, you'll work primarily from your B.C. home and occasionally in our Richmond office.
What you'll do
What you'll do
- Develop and implement a new strategic vision for the portfolio ensuring alignment to WorkSafeBC strategies and the mandate of the Board of Directors.
- Lead the expansion of the WorkSafeBC research grants and other programs and service offerings
- Develop and implement a knowledge translation and dissemination strategy and environmental scanning strategy to provide advice and guidance to WorkSafeBC senior leaders on insights and intelligence to support development of WorkSafeBC strategies and initiatives
- Build partnerships with researchers, national and international networks of regulators and compensation agencies, national and international associations, stakeholders, internal departments and divisions to collaborate on research and corporate scanning initiatives.
- Advise senior leaders and executive on options and implications of research findings and support operationalizing research to inform policies, divisional strategies and initiatives.
- Engage with the Board of Directors, senior executive and divisional management to provide analysis of impacts and outcomes of funded projects
- Develop and implement departmental strategic and business plans, and operational work plans, taking a broad, organizational view to align departmental work with WorkSafeBC priorities and corporate strategies.
- Provide ongoing monitoring of departmental performance measures, and take appropriate action to modify plans and redirect activities to meet departmental objectives
- Provide leadership, mentorship, coaching, direction and management to a team of advisors providing client-focused services while ensuring necessary administrative and technical resources and services are available to support staff in performing their duties
Is this a good fit for you?
We're looking for someone who can:
- Create programs and strategies from the ground-up using innovative ideas and creativity
- Review complex scientific and business information and distill and synthesize information to simplify it and use engaging formats both written and verbal, to suit the needs of various audiences
- Think and act strategically to recognize risks and opportunities and develop options and solutions to influence organizational initiatives
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders including senior management, corporate partners and researchers
- Facilitate meetings and effectively communicate, influence others, build consensus and trust, and work collaboratively, often with senior leaders, to achieve outcomes.
- Make decisions and recommendations demonstrating well-reasoned and comprehensive review of options and implications
- Provide advice and expertise to senior leaders on matters related to portfolio
- Coach and support a team of professionals, and foster an innovation mindset, encourage new ideas, and creates a supportive and healthy working environment
Your background and experience
- A Master's degree in epidemiology, occupational hygiene, public policy, or a related field; training or experience with research methods and knowledge of statistical and epidemiological analysis would be an asset
- A minimum of 3 years of experience managing people
- Project management training and/or experience, knowledge translation experience, and stakeholder engagement experience would be an asset
We'll consider an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Important to know
Before we can finalize any offer of employment, you must:
- Confirm you're legally entitled to work in Canada
WorkSafeBC's COVID-19 Employee Mandatory Vaccine Policy (the "Policy") is suspended effective January 9, 2023, however we reserve the right to re-implement it in response to changes in the public health landscape, including public health orders. We are committed to the protection, health, and safety of our employees and our Communicable Disease Prevention Program and related protocols remain in effect.
Who we are
At WorkSafeBC, we promote safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases occur, we provide compensation and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We're honoured to serve the 2.49 million workers and 263,000 registered employers in our province.
What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating, and rewarding. Our positions offer diversity and opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important, and so are the people we do it for.
Our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences that reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self.
Learn more: Discover who we are.
As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that help you get the most out of work - and life. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes:
- 4 weeks of vacation per year
- Extensive health care and dental benefits
- Sick leave
Learn more: Find out what we offer.
Want to apply?
- Applications are welcomed immediately, however must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. PST on the closing date.
- Please note that we will be starting assessments prior to the closing date.
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email Recruitment Testing Accommodation (SM) when you submit your application.